Monday, July 25, 2016

New app for Android: Silence@Power

How about putting your phone to charge (plug the usb cable) before go to bed and automatically mute all calls and notifications sounds? Nice idea, ehh?

Well, I had this idea for myself so I made a small android app, initially called Silence@Night. Then, I think again, why to be limited only in the evening, so I made it more general and named it as "Silence@Power".Using his app, users can choose the time interval during which they want it to be active as well as the appropriate actions to be taken when they plug in or unplug the device from its power cord.

The application does not use many resources as it's triggered only on power cord plug in/out and on specific times.

Notice: On Android 5+, muting is in form of "Do not disturb" mode, which means that you can allow some important contacts (eg favorites) to disturb this procedure through your phone settings.

Enjoy it !


or download here!



Wednesday, November 4, 2015

MySQL encoding problem and convertion to UTF8

Many times an incorrect installation of a CMS (eg.
Drupal, Wordpress, OS-Commerce) gives a wrong collation and encoding of a MySQL database. Usually, the problem shows up after a short amount of time, eg. when 1000 records have stored in the database. 
The problem is that the database is in the default LATIN1 encoding, instead of the preferred let's say UTF-8.
So, how can we change the collation and encoding of the "meshed up" database? And the most important, how can we keep our data and convert the data to the correct encoding?

The correct solution seems to be the following:

  1. Backup your database!
  2. Ensure that no data will be stored to the database in that time (eg. put your site in maintenance mode)
  3. Using a Mysql editor (eg. phpMyAdmin), ALTER all tables to the correct UTF-8 encoding using the following SQL command:
    ALTER TABLE `categories_description` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
    for example in eg. 'categories_description' table.
  4. Convert all data of the given table to the correct encoding using CONVERT and CAST command as following:
    UPDATE `categories_description` SET `category_title` = convert( cast( convert( `category_title` USING latin1 ) AS BINARY ) USING utf8 ), SET ....(repear SET for all string fields in table)..;
  5. Repeat the above process for all the tables in the database!
After that, everything seems to be fixed!

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Android Studio and keyboard freezing problem

Looks like Android Studio has problems with keyboard in linux OS.

iBus daemon is the main suspect. I've tried many tricks and hacks but the problem remains, keyboard freezes after a short period of time!

The only solution for me is to download and use Java JDK 8! 

Friday, March 14, 2014

jquery autocomplete IE display problem

JQuery Combobox in autocomplete example (http://jqueryui.com/autocomplete/#combobox) is not working properly in some IE versions. A way to solve this problem is to disable this widget. To do this add the following lines before the widget :


function detectIE() {
    var ua = window.navigator.userAgent;
    var msie = ua.indexOf('MSIE ');
    var trident = ua.indexOf('Trident/');

    if (msie > 0) {
        // IE 10 or older => return version number
        return parseInt(ua.substring(msie + 5, ua.indexOf('.', msie)), 10);
    }

    if (trident > 0) {
        // IE 11 (or newer) => return version number
        var rv = ua.indexOf('rv:');
        return parseInt(ua.substring(rv + 3, ua.indexOf('.', rv)), 10);
    }

    // other browser
    return false;
}


(function($) {
    if (detectIE()>6 || detectIE()==false { $.widget("ui.combobox", { ..... }); 
})(jQuery);

Thursday, March 13, 2014

The eXpandable IMAge PROcessing project

The X-Imapro project was started back in 2001 as a simple image processing program during university classes to support user's image processing routines using dlls under the same shell without re-compilation of the source code. 
Ximapro is a "shell" application that loads pictures and displays them in a Multi-Document interface (MFC). The image processing tools (filters) are plug-ins, in a form of DLLs, created individually by users. Ximapro is a suitable tool for students who want to create their own filters in C/C++ and test them without spending time to create an image reading/ saving and displaying application. Ximapro gives you this ability to easily write speed C/C++ filters, saves your time, giving you the opportunity to focus on your filter design.

Some screenshots:



Ximapro is running under Windows.


to be continued...

Sunday, August 11, 2013

N.N. Multi Image Viewer

Back in 1997! Windows 95 was in its best. Multimedia applications was few (most of them were shareware), especially image viewers. So, I was looking for a convenient image viewer to have in my desktop.
Learning Delphi by my self, I managed to create a little image viewer application for Windows, called NN-MultiImage Viewer. This application is divided in 3 parts, folder selection in the left, the preview part in the middle and the file list in the right.
The application has the ability to set a selected image from the file list as desktop background. It has, also, a preview window with thumbnails. I really enjoy this app!




The application can be downloaded from here.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Easy-Access εφαρμογή για το www.tranzistoraki.gr

Μετά από μια ιδέα που γεννήθηκε σε μια παρέα, μέλος της οποίας είναι ο διαχειριστής του Ηλεκτρονικού Μουσικού Περιοδικού www.tranzistoraki.gr, δημιουργήθηκε μια Easy-Access εφαρμογή για Android για το εν λόγο διαδικτυακό τόπο. 
Μέσα από την εφαρμογή ο χρήστης έχει άμεση πρόσβαση Πολιτιστικές εκδηλώσεις στη Ρόδο, Αθήνα και Θεσσαλονίκη, ενημέρωση για μουσικές και θεατρικές παραστάσεις, νέες κυκλοφορίες δίσκων και βιβλίων, ραδιοφωνικά νέα και πολλούς διαγωνισμούς!


Την εφαρμογή μπορείτε να την βρείτε εδώ.
Επισκεφθείτε το Περιοδικό εδώ.