Sunday, January 13, 2013

Eclipse is (was) very slow! (affects AndroidStudio also)

After upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 12.04, I had problems with Eclipse Application, which I use for Android development, as suggested by Google dev team.
First of all, the repository package of Eclipse in 12.04 is just not running. It keeps crashing on startup.
So, I've downloaded the Eclipse 4.2 from official site and installed it.
But the performance was too poor. And this is a fact for many people, not just for me. After some google searches and many tests, I ended up with a magic eclipse.ini file configuration that speeds up Eclipse:

-startup plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
--launcher.library plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.1.200.v20120522-1813
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 256m
--launcher.defaultAction openFile
-server
-vmargs
-Xms512m
-Xmx1024m
-XX:PermSize=1024m
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
-Xverify:none
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions
-XX:+UseG1GC
-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods

Now my Eclipse is running normally and I am able to continue my projects!

Reference: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/367243/0/40/

Note: S.F.M.B.E. (sorry for my bad english!)

Addition: This also applies to new Android Studio IntelliJ IDEA. Just locate studio.vmoptions in bin folder and increase heap as above!

No comments:

Post a Comment